Please note that due to the COVID pandemic, Bekki’s classes have been moved online and will be taught online as necessary.
Bekki teaches her year-long Shamanic Apprenticeship in Ithaca, NY. This replaces the Two-Week Shamanic Healing Training which she taught with Crow from 1992 to 2010. In 2016, inspired by Crow’s shamanic apprentice program, which he had been teaching for a couple of years at Dragon Waters in southern Ohio, she formulated her own apprenticeship program.
This training is designed for participants who have a good grounding in shamanic journey work and who have already been practicing shamanism as their primary spiritual path, or as a significant adjunct to their spiritual path, and who already have strong shamanic ally contacts. Acceptance into the program is at Bekki’s discretion. Usually 2 and up to 4 participants per training assures intensive and in-depth attention from the teacher.
- The Fundamentals of Shamanism and Circle of the Ancestors workshops with Bekki, or equivalent training.
- At least 6 months of experience with journeying (once a week or more often). You will need to submit copies of your journeys over this time. (Not required of people who have studied extensively with Bekki; in some cases this is waived if you can demonstrate your level of shamanic skill).
- Permission of your allies
- Interview with Bekki
- Bekki’s review of your natal astrology chart (to pre-select appropriate student partners for your training)
Each topic is taught over a 2-day period, and the students work with volunteers from the community in supervised group healing sessions based on the teachings.
Many of the sessions re-visit topics covered by other workshops Bekki teaches at the intermediate level, always from the perspective of developing and supporting advanced healing skills.
The topics covered are as follows (roughly in order, which can vary somewhat):
A review of the basics of energy work from a shamanic perspective, and discussion of systems students are already using (shamanic, polarity, Reiki, etc.), including partner work. Discussion of trance dance, healing stones, and other energy healing tools. When possible, Bekki arranges to teach Opening the Shamanic Voice to fulfill most of the requirements of this segment; additional readings and outside sessions may round out the work.
Review and new perspectives of ancestor work. Ritual work with the Ancestors, focused on healer-ancestors. (The Circle of the Ancestors workshop is a prerequisite for the course. This segment does not replace it.)
Elemental spirit allies
Earth Elementals: We will make contact with a personal earth elemental spirit ally and learn to work with this elemental to examine the physical aspects of illness, disease, and imbalance in our clients.
Water Elementals: We will make contact with a personal water elemental spirit ally and learn to work with this elemental to examine the emotional aspects of illness, disease and imbalance in our clients.
Air Elementals: We will make contact with a personal air elemental spirit ally and learn to work with this elemental to examine the mental causes of illness, disease, and imbalance in our clients (ideas, beliefs, mental constructs).
Fire Elementals: We will make contact with a personal fire elemental spirit ally and learn to work with this elemental to examine the spiritual causes of illness, disease, and imbalance in our clients (relationship with the Divine and its impact on wellness, crises of faith, spiritual wounds, etc.).
Healing with Fey allies, Faery Doctoring.
Plant spirit allies
Making contact and working with plant allies (participants make their own sacred place with selected plants, altar, and meditation space at Medicine Spring Farm in Ithaca, where the training takes place); making plant medicines. The plant spirits are spirit helpers in our shamanic work.
Working with Divinity
All shamanic peoples believe in a Divine Being or Beings who created the world and continue to shape and guide it. These Beings are concerned for their creation and are available as shamanic helpers for healing and maintaining balance of our world. We will work with personal Divinities who offer themselves as shamanic helpers for us in our healing practice.
Learning about and learning to heal with this classic shamanic technique. Bekki covers diverse techniques across cultures.
Learning about and learning to heal with this classic shamanic technique. A variety of approaches to the concept of soul loss and soul return are covered, examining diverse cultural perspectives.
Learning about and learning to heal with this classic shamanic technique.
Exorcism and depossession
Learning about and learning to heal with these classic shamanic techniques.
- The Shaman by Piers Vitebsky: the best and most beautiful summary of this complex subject.
- Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy by Mircea Eliade: A classic.
- The Sacred Tree: Reflections on Native American Spirituality by Judie Bopp and Michael Bopp
- Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self by Sandra Ingerman
- Riding Windhorses and Chosen by the Spirits by Sarangerel Odigan
- Shamans, Healers, and Medicine Men by Holger Kalwait
- The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge and Shamans Through Time: 500 Years on the Path to Knowledge by Jeremy Narby